LIGHTNING RELEASES: WINSTON-SALEM, NC (2/5/2014) – This Valentine’s Day, skip the long wait and inflated prices at your favorite restaurant and create a wonderful meal for your significant other on your backyard grill. Blue Rhino, the company known for its industry-leading propane brand (www.BlueRhino.com), its Mr. Bar-B-Q® line of innovative, premier barbecue accessories and outdoor lifestyle tools (www.MrBarBQ.com), and other outdoor living products such as grills and fire pits, offers this Valentine’s Day Menu for Two by Chef Michael Steifman of Michael Stuart New York (recipes below):
Summer Squash Brushetta
Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese Butter
Asparagus with a Balsamic Reduction and Pecorino Romano Cheese
Just purchase a dessert from your local bakery, pick out a good bottle of wine or sparkling juice, set the table with linens and flowers, and you’re ready for a romantic dinner for two.
Here are some quick tips to make sure the night goes as planned, since winter grilling can present challenges to novices and experts alike. Place your grill in a location that’s sheltered from cold winds, but is approximately 10 feet from any combustible surfaces. Don’t place it against siding or near other materials susceptible to heat damage or catching fire. NEVER GRILL IN A GARAGE OR ENCLOSED SPACE. Also, propane grills can be harder to light in the cold. To make it easier, do NOT turn the handwheel on the propane tank all the way on. Instead, try turning it just a single turn before lighting. It will be dark when you start to grill, so attach a Mr, Bar-B-Q Magnetic Barbecue Light to your grilling tool so you don’t have to bend close to the fire to see what’s going on.
And don’t forget to pick up a fresh, ready-to-grill propane tank BEFORE the festivities commence. Blue Rhino is available at more than 45,000 retail locations nationwide. You can even sign up for propane email reminders at BlueRhino.com.
Valentine’s Day Recipes
Summer Squash Bruschetta
1 Small Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 Small Yellow Squash, sliced lengthwise
1/2 pint Grape Tomatoes, sliced into rings
1/2 Small Red Onion, diced small
1/2 12” Baguette, sliced ½” thick
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1) Heat grill to medium-high.
2) Brush the slices of zucchini and squash with oil and season with salt & pepper.
3) Dip each slice of baguette about half way into the remaining olive oil, then place on a plate oil side up.
4) Place the Mr. Bar-B-Q Dual Sided Non-Stick Grill Topper on the grill until it’s hot. Lay slices of the zucchini and squash across the grill side. Cook for 2 minutes on each side and then set aside.
5) Place the slices of baguette oil side down on the flat side and toast until golden brown.
6) Once all the zucchini and squash have been grilled, lay the slices on a cutting board and cut into thin strips. Then put all the strips into a mixing bowl. Add the diced onion, a little olive oil and season again if necessary.
7) Place small mounds of the squash mixture on each of the crostinis and garnish with some of the tomato rings.
Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Asparagus with Balsamic Reduction and Pecorino
2-8 oz. Filet Mignons
2 tsp. Beef Rub
1 bunch Asparagus
1 1/2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp. Shaved Pecorino Romano
1 1/3 TBSP Butter
2 tsp. Crumbled Blue Cheese
2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Sugar
1. Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Season filet mignons with the beef rub and set aside. Bring a large pot (for asparagus) to a boil and add the salt. Cut 1 inch off bottom ends of asparagus, the drop in the water.
2. After 2 minutes, remove asparagus and shock in a bowl of ice water. Once asparagus is cooled, drain on paper towel.
3. Pour balsamic vinegar and sugar into a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until balsamic is thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Let the butter sit out until soft, then place in food processor with the blue cheese and pulse until well combined. Scrape out all the blue cheese butter onto a piece of wax paper and roll into tubes about 1 inch in diameter. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, shave pecorino into thin strips and set aside. Place the filet mignons on the grill and cook on each side for 7-10 minutes, then remove to rest. Toss asparagus with the extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, and grill until slightly blackened. Remove and place on a platter.
6. Drizzle asparagus with balsamic reduction and cover with shaved pecorino and some black pepper.
Take out the blue cheese butter and slice into disks about ¼” thick. Place on top of each filet.
1 lb. Golden Creamer or Red Bliss Potatoes
1 tbsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Finely Ground Cornmeal
1 ½ tsp. Grated Parmesan
1 ½ tsp. Rosemary Leaves (fresh or dried)
1 ½ tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat grill on medium-high heat.
2. Cut potatoes in halves or quarters and place in pot of cold water with salt. Bring potatoes to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes and strain.
3. Mix cornmeal, grated parmesan, rosemary, and salt & pepper in a bowl.
4. Place the Mr. Bar-B-Q Non-Stick Grill Topper on the grill to heat up.
5. Once potatoes are well drained, toss them in cornmeal mixture.
6. When grill topper is hot, brush with olive oil and spread potatoes on it in an even layer.
7. Cook until potatoes are golden brown and tender all the way through.
# # #
About Blue Rhino
In 1994, Blue Rhino – named for the color of a propane flame and the endangered animal – launched America’s first branded propane tank exchange service. Today, Blue Rhino is more than propane, with a full line of products at the heart of outdoor living. This includes grills, heaters, fire pits, fireplace accessories, mosquito traps, charcoal, and more sold under brands such as Mr. Bar-B-Q®, Endless Summer®, UniFlame®, and SkeeterVac®. Blue Rhino’s leading propane exchange brand is available at more than 45,000 retail stores in 50 states and Puerto Rico and is based in Winston-Salem, N.C. Blue Rhino is a division of Ferrellgas, L.P. For more information, visit www.BlueRhino.com.
About Mr. Bar-B-Q
Mr. Bar-B-Q®, a Blue Rhino brand, is the world’s expert in designing innovative, premier barbecue accessories and outdoor lifestyle tools. There are more than 400 Mr. Bar-B-Q products, including tools and tool sets, brushes, baskets, toppers, accessories and grill covers. Unlike other products, Mr. Bar-B-Q products can be used for charcoal, gas or electric grills. Over 120 products are patented. Most Mr. Bar-B-Q products range in price from $9.99-$19.99. For more information, visit www.MrBarBQ.com.
Note to editors: To receive Mr. Bar-B-Q or Blue Rhino product samples or images, please contact Cynthia Greenwood at 847-404-8404 or Cynthia@newsmark.com.
*2013 Barbecue Consumer Research Report from the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association