PRESS RELEASE: San Diego, CA (October 2013) – Although the predicted zombie apocalypse is most likely unfounded, if it is indeed fact and not fiction, it can’t hurt for parents to prepare on behalf of their fur kids as well. With Halloween just around the corner, this is the perfect time to put together a survival plan, beginning with the following check list from Petco to ensure pets make it through the night with their brains in tact.
- The basics. Store things such as water, food (human food AND pet food), a flashlight and extra batteries, portable food and water bowls, pet medications, etc. in a Bison Pet Scamper Dog Pack so Fido can get out the door quickly with his survival kit in the event of an attack.
- Travel safe. For those frantically attempting to escape the zombie attacks via a vehicle, be sure to strap pets in safely to avoid injuries! Doggy seatbelts, car harnesses, crates, etc. are necessary to keep pets secure and harm-free during a bumpy ride.
- Escape in disguise. Help pets blend into the zombie crowd by dressing up in a Petco ghoul or skeleton costume. As the old adage goes, “If you can’t beat them, join them!”
- Stay physically fit and mentally alert. Only the strong and the smart will survive, so be sure to keep pets in top physical condition by exercising with them regularly and giving them food puzzles to keep them mentally sharp.
- Keep calm. Zombies can startle pets and instinct may tell them to run for their lives, but it’s important for pets and pet parents to stick together! When battling the zombies, keep a heavy-duty and reliable leash on hand. Also, to help cats and dogs stay calm, swaddle them in a Thundershirt, which will soothe them under stressful circumstances so they stay emotionally happy.
The zombie apocalypse can happen at any moment. Prepare for the worst! All of the items above can be found at a local Petco store. Visit http://www.petco.com to find everything necessary to survive a zombie apocalypse.
While hiding out at home, use the time to enter the Petco “Make a Scene” Photo Contest. Simply take a photo of a pet dressed in costume with a festive background, whether it’s Fido fleeing from zombies or a kitty fireman coming to the rescue, and enter at facebook.com/petco between September 27 – October 27, 2013 for a shot at the $25,000 grand prize.
When pets are ready to see the light of day, scare up a little fun and join Petco on Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 2 p.m. for the Most Bootiful of All Pet Costume Party. Plus, anyone who brings in a costumed pet will receive a free Old Mother Hubbard treat.
Be sure to check out Petco’s Pets vs. Zombies video for more Halloween fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1AkFs27YM.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing the powerful relationship between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,250 stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, including more than 80 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; nine Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $115 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 350,000 animals every year.